Re: Hinges/hinge/hinge contddddddd

Subject: Re: Hinges/hinge/hinge contddddddd
From: Europa <Enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 12:35:17

>1) How do you intend removing the hinge flange that is bonded onto the
>control surface flange?

Difficult. The only time that I've attempted it I ended up destroying the
glass flange.

>2)If this is not a more ideal setup to negate wear, where are the benefits
>of the existing steel pin to aluminium lug, other than a negligible amount
>less friction. It must be remembered that you have a considerable moment arm
>to overcome and displace the flight control concerned. If you could
>physically discern the additionaly load you would be in need of some Special
>K or other high energy breakfast cereal!

The worry over increased friction is most likely in the break out force
being high enough to cause jerkiness in control. This is unpleasant,
especially on long flights in straight and level.

>3) The hinge would not develop any slop over time. Why would an unprotected
>hinge be any better?

The reason we're looking at PTFE sleeving is to reduce/eliminate wear and
provide an easily replaceable part. So a protected (sleeved) hinge should
be better.

>4) Who judges what is correct or better, Europa with production/cost
>constraints or builders doing "one off aircraft" that they will be strapping
>themselves and loved ones into"???

The proof of the pudding........ We intend to try the sleeving on the
hinges and, if of benefit, pass it on as a good thing to do and possibly
add it to the kit.

>Europa tells me they are experimenting with teflon sheathing of hinges,
but I wouldn't be
>surprised if it is for the production aircraft.

Our investigations are for the kit aircraft but any good ideas will be
incorporated into the certificated aircraft where appropriate.

 What I really want to know
>is if Ivans Varieze or Longeze had teflon hinges???

Not as far as I'm aware. Ivan's away until the new year so I can't verify
that.

Regards     Andy