Re: PFA letter to Europa Owners

Subject: Re: PFA letter to Europa Owners
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:57:22
>It also mentioned that the PFA had sent letters to flying owners with
>recommendations as to crosswind limitations and mentioned a left hand cross
>wind limit of 7 knots.
>Would the airborne among us confirm if they did receive a letter and if so,
>give those of us still sitting on the ground in our Europas full details of
>the contents.
I received a letter from the PFA together with the Certificate of Fitness
for Flight for 'XDY. This letter did in fact cover many aspects of flying
the Europa and included two paragraphs on the take-off/landing phase. I quote:
A couple of pointers about flying the Europa. The layout of the monowheel
Europa is unique and experience has shown that it is VITAL that pilots are
properly checked-out on type before flying the Europa P1. Even experienced
tailwheel pilots will need to be properly introduced to the new techniques
of taking off and landing the Europa. There have been several accidents and
incidents where pilots have lost directional control on tak-off, probably
due in part to raising the tail too early in the take-off run. Similarly, on
landing it is important that you round out at the correct airspeed and
touchdown gently in the two-point attitude. Should a bounce occur it is
important that a series of over-coarse and delayed pitch control inputs do
not result in 'PIO' leading to a series of steeper and steeper bounces,
culminating in a groundstrike of the propeller rips. To avoid PIO, keep the
stick fully back after touchdown. Take time to learn the necessary skills
under tuition from another pilot. We are fortunate in the UK to have a
number of people available around the country who are able to offer Europa
conversion training and we strongly recommend you take this up once the
permit has been issue to your aircraft.
Early flights in the Europa should be carried out from reasonably wide and
smooth runways to give a degree of margin for error until the techniques
have been mastered and sufficiently practiced to have become automatic. We
strongly recommend that crosswind components of greater than about 7 knots
---From the left and 10 knots from the right (vice-versa for the Subaru powered
machine where the prop rotates the other way) should be avoided until you
are thoroughly familiar with the machine. The advice given in the pilots
manual is sound and should be heeded.

An additional note that reinforces the above advice to get training is that
the insurance I have arranged on our Europa carries a higher excess clause
until we have received training from Martin Stoner.

Hope all this is of help,
Dave Watts 229.