Re: Re Ailerons / Wing efficiency

Subject: Re: Re Ailerons / Wing efficiency
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:39:59
>You obviously haven't read that bit of my log.....
>
>I was working on the ailerons one evening when Carol called me in for dinner.

>I put the ailerons down on the floor behind the car as the rest of my
>workspace was full. After dinner Carol asked me to go and get some milk so I
>got in the car, opened the garage door and reversed! The slight bump reminded

>me where my ailerons were so, muttering politely under my breath (not), I got

>out to inspect them. There wasn't a mark on them, even where the car had gone

>over the flange! I decided to scrap them anyway and got in a new set of cores

>from Europa. Did you know you can actually make a pair of ailerons in a week.
>
>As an exercise I decide to test one to destruction. It took a _lot_ of effort

>with a large sledge hammer before I could get it to crack. The force required

>to break the aileron really surprised me and has given me a lot of confidence

>in moldless composite construction.
>
>I mentioned this incident to Ivan while I was up there and he said that I
>needn't have bothered scrapping them!

Get Ivan to be the first to fly your a/c then!!!!I doubt he would want a
Europa flying that he knew had such an experience during its construction.
Maybe if you hadn't bought a new pair the answer would have been slightly
different. Can I have a go at the spare remaining aileron next time I come
to Auckland with your sledge hammer?? :-)