Re: PolySwitches

Subject: Re: PolySwitches
From: Loontus@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:36:28
<< >There's no need for manual resetting or replacement.  These devices are
 >available with trip points as low as 0.120 amps and as high as 9 amps. >
 >Littelfuse, which makes auto fuses, has a similiar product called Positive
 >Temperature Coefficient(PTC) Resettable Devices. >
 >RAYCHEM and Littelfuse both appear to be using some type of conductive
 >polymer in their circuit protectors in lieu of wire links and moving parts.

    There's at least on product on the market using these devices. I've
    posted both a design review and a usenet thread which intereseted
    parties may read at <http://www.aeroelectric.com/xpbusthd.html> >>

I have heard someone say that if very high currents are available in a system
with CBs that the CBs can explode and/or catch fire and/or weld closed and
'cause' a fire (upon a sudden, complete short), whereas fuses are MADE to
melt (even to the point of vaporizing), there by efficiently handling the
situation.  If that possibility exists, both should be used, in series, with
the fuse a certain percent above the CB.  (Not me, but I see the logic.)
 Comments invited.
        Dave