Re: Wing Efficiency

Subject: Re: Wing Efficiency
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:52:05

> Gidday,
> Does anyone agree that the ideal airofoil is the one that is cut in two to
> accomodate a spar? Could it not then be stated that the method of rejoining
> these components is critical. As I understand it and I am not at this stage
> yet, however I believe the old method of securing the aft edge of the wing
> skin to the back of the spar, and the new method which secures it with a
bid
> tape, both effect the thickness at this critical location of the wing.

I checked with Roger regarding this as you do end up with a step of some 4mm
between the foam and the spar at the root reducing to zero by the end of the
root block when you use the bid tape method of construction. According to Don
Dykins this is _not_ a critical portion of the wing. According to Don the bit
to really watch out for is the first 10 inches and also that there are no
concavities over the rest of the wing surface. To fill in the 4mm tapered gap
I used micro on the first side but found that a thick mix of fairlight was
_much_ better to work with so used that for the other sides. With the filler
in place you end up with a nice surface to lay the cloth on. I must say that
doing the wing layups wasn't as much hassle as I thought it would be and
thoroughly enjoyed the process.

Tony
Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Managing Director  Ph 64 9 520 4631