Wing Efficiency

Subject: Wing Efficiency
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:36:26
Gidday,
Does anyone agree that the ideal airofoil is the one that is cut in two to
accomodate a spar? Could it not then be stated that the method of rejoining
these components is critical. As I understand it and I am not at this stage
yet, however I believe the old method of securing the aft edge of the wing
skin to the back of the spar, and the new method which secures it with a bid
tape, both effect the thickness at this critical location of the wing. Also
of course is the effect of the trailing edge cloth overlapping the leading
edge skin. I know of a fellow who has recessed his cores such as the
consequent glasswork in this area maintains as much as possible the original
airofoil. Doesn't sound like such a bad idea don't you think??
Regards
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236