Re: Problems with media . . .

Subject: Re: Problems with media . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:36:43
>Joe Colquitt wrote:
>>
>> CNN's report on the Denver crash (posted this morning) is attached.
>> My concern over this crash, aside from the loss of life,  is the same
>> as in any aviation event involving "small" or "experimental" planes:
>> People jump to the conclusion that we're a bunch of daredevils,
>> risk-takers, over-achievers, death-defiers, etc.
>
>How about "Fools"?  or "Incompetents"?  I have had personal knowledge of
>several events that have been later reported by the press.  In every
>single case the stories have been incorrect, unfavorable, or both.  When
>an attempt is made to correct their reporting, the correction may be
>acknowledged but it never makes its way to the front of the paper (or
>radio story, or TV news program).

   . . . <snip>

  There's an interesting difference I've noted in media coverage of the
  John Denver accident. . . there's a great deal of POSITIVE coverage
  of amateur-built aviation as well.  Saw a fairly long piece on Public
  Eye last night wherein the reporter including footage and comments on
  his OWN ride in the back seat of a Long-Ez!  He was grinning ear to ear
  and explaining how this experience was almost spiritual.  Many others
  on the net including AVSIG on Compuserve are reporting a phenomenal
  number of neutral to positive informational pieces on amateur built
  planes.  Don't know about you but I certainly don't recall this kind
  of consideration in the past.

  I heard a news piece yesterday and I'm sorry, I cannot quote the original
  source but the gist of it was this: At some time in the not too distant
  future, news services are going to REQUIRE that reporters have some
  education in the disiplines they expect to cover.  I was astounded!
  What a concept. Could it be that someone should actually know what they
  were talking about?

  To date, a degree in communications or media production gets you a job
  as informant to the world.  What I've seen and heard over the past
  few days is encouraging . . . especially because it's those poor
  ignorant souls in congress that depend so much on what the media
  prints for their decision-driving data.  I think we have reason,
  at least today, to be optomistic!  But DON'T take the pressure off!
  I wrote our local newspaper yesterday for calling the Long an
  "ultralight" and this paper is home base for Dave Higgdon, a noted
  aviation writer! Keep whacking them where it's called for . . .

      Bob . . .
      AeroElectric Connection

                      ////
                     (o o)