Re: The great breaker debate . . .Yeahbut.....but...

Subject: Re: The great breaker debate . . .Yeahbut.....but...
From: Nick Ugolini <unick@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 10:53:43
When I wired my LongEZ, I followed Bob's advice (through personal
discussions with him and his book).  I used with FUSES.  I loved the
result.

I have talked with aviation shops and found breakers to be highly
unreliable in their protection ability.  Conversely every one said a fuse
pops exactly when it is supposed to.  I have a bag full of "aviation
brakers" I picked up for wiring my plane and they are still setting on
the shelf.

I elected to go with the B&C fuse block... a 10 and 20 for a total of 30
fuses and their ground strip (I think it has 40+,  1/4" spade push on
connections.  The fuse blocks are very small and are located in the nose
of the plane well out of reach.

I have ONE breaker for the alternater field which is "accessible to the
pilot" as required by the FARS for a IFR plane.

I have EVERY single circuit fused.  Each selenoid, each radio, gear warn
circuit, the little LEDs for the fuel level lighting, even the instrument
pannel light circuit has its own fuse, and I still have spare fuse
holders.  If for some reason I lose a circuit I have got a REAL problem,
and I only lost one circuit, not a bunch of things all hooked up to one
breaker which is how you typically wire a plane.

Think about it, when was the last time you blew a fuse in your car?