Re: Re: The great breaker debate . . .Yeahbut.....

Subject: Re: Re: The great breaker debate . . .Yeahbut.....
From: Dean Arthur <dearthur@cyberhighway.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 13:37:43
Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

> >   I don't want to start another great debate over the fuse Vs Breaker
> >concept, but I have to take exception to your example.
> >
> >   First of all, it would appear from your statements that you're talking
> >about UNMANNED spacecraft. I to beleive that fuses in this type of
> >installation is the correct approach. But there are times when an
> >intermittent short that opens a critical circuits breaker might result in
> >the pilots safe return with the ability to reset that breaker. I agree
> >that service work should not be performed in the cockpit while flying,
> >but I would rather have the ability to reset a breaker IF I NEED TO, and
> >it doesn't interferr with the control of the aircraft. Just my opinion.
>
>    Let's try an ON-LINE FMEA (failure mode effects analysis). Over the
>    next 24 hours, I'd like for people to post their response to the following
>    questions:
>
>    (1) Name one item of electrical equipment critical to safe completion
>        of flight . . . or an item who's failure presents an immediate
>        hazard to completion of flight.

        Alternator first, then...
        Electric gyro, HSI, ASI in that order [who uses magcomp anymore?]
        Night flight with current hungry nav-lights and anti-collision light(s)
to eat
        battery below 10v and shutdown of critical instrumentation.

>    (2) List the ways in which this device or system might fail.

        wiring across sharp metal corner(s) wearing through insulation;
        moisture leak - shorting out instrument(s);
        vibration loosening internal hardware which shorts uncoated
connections;

>    (3) How will each of these failures become obvious to the pilot.

        You've got to be kidding!