Re: FLYING

Subject: Re: FLYING
From: Alan Stewart <alans@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:52:25

I sat down last night and worked out my rough estimate for my average cross
country cruising speed for the last 9 months, based on about 10 long distance
flights of an hour or more.

On most trips I try to be as fast as possible, but not to 'strain' the engine.
Holding a track precisely is difficult, but the Skymap makes it easier than
the old days when you relied on '1 in 60 rules' & course corrections etc.

I generally settle for just under 5000 rpm and with the prop at the factory
recommended 17 degrees. Most trips inevitably involve headwind/tailwind
components. (generally of the order of 10 knots or so)

I tend to count flight time only, from point to point.

Destinations included:

Talybont, Le Touquet, Bembridge (IOW), Muckleburgh *3, Blair Athol, Sorbie,
Glenforsa, Blackbushe, Holly Meadow Farm.

Somwhat surprisingly, I got a value of < 104 knots. Although in truth I think
it must be a few knots more than that !!. Windy days make a big difference.

It is a fantastic way to travel though, with economy similar to a family car
and much, much quicker.

alan