FLYING: Recent excursions & perfomance

Subject: FLYING: Recent excursions & perfomance
From: Alan Stewart <alans@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:12:38

I've been trying to get in some good long distance trips this autumn
before the days become too short for meaningful day excursions.

---From Rayne, near Braintree Essex, I've been to:

Blair Atholl in the Central Highlands of Scotland.
Bill Wynnes strip at Talybont in West Wales.
Le Touquet and on to the northern Paris area in France.
Bembridge on the Isle of Wight.
Muckleburgh, Norfolk * 3, Fenland, Cambridge, Blackbush, Canterbury etc etc

---From Sorbie near St Andrews in Fife I've been to Glenforsa on the Isle of
Mull.

On all of these trips the 912 has performed flawlessly. I now have 125 trouble
free hours from the engine.

Yesterday we flew to Bill Wynnes', Talybont farm. This is a beautiful and
forgotton (by the tourists) part of West Wales, offering fantastic hillwalking.

A short steam train journey up the steep sided valley, was followed by a taxi
journey. (5 pounds), and a 2hour climb of Cadir Idris, one of Wales highest
peaks.

This was one of the finest walks I've ever been on (I've done many of
the Munros in Scotland). The 2900 ft peak offered spectacular views down the
valley to the coast, and northwards towards Snowdon. There is a steep scramble
(not dangerous in the summer when it's dry) from an enclosed mountain lake
to the top. To the left and right are near vertical rock faces.

We were back at the aircraft by 3.45 and back at home by 6.15. 11 1/2 hours
door to door. So it's possible to fly from near London to anywhere in England,
have a decent day out, and get back within just over 12 hours of reasonable
daylight.

For those interested in the true performance of a typical customer built
Europa, measured over 9 months. (I've no reason to believe mine is not typical):

Average cross country cruise: 105 - 110 knots. (around 4900 rpm).
Average fuel use at 4900 rpm: 15.5 l/hr. (carb. needle raised 1 notch).

BWFX does about 120 knots TAS (+- 1.5 knots) at 5500 rpm (max continuous)
when measured on 2 way GPS runs DIRECTLY into/away from wind at around 1000ft.
(I have checked this many times, in different conditions. Not sure I would ask
engine/me to endure it for long though.At this rpm, engine is noisy and thirsty)

Rayne - Talybont trip (Sun 21st Sept 1997):

Average speed:                         111 knots.(rpm 4850 - 5100).
Total distance covered:         circa 390 nm.
Fuel used:                         about 14 gal (Still air, around 34 mpg)
Head/tailwind component:         about 13 mph from the east.
Initial R.O.C at 1300 lb:         under 500 ft/min (yesterday was <21 C??)
Flight time out:                1hr 35 min
Flight time back:                 1hr 55 min
EGT's:                                780 - 840 centigrade, typically. (Hmmm)
CHT:                                around 90 centigrade (probably too cool)
Coolant temp:                        90 - 125 centigrade, depending on flight
mode.
Static rpm:                         just under 5300
In standard climb:                just over 5000

I can't measure any significant difference in cruise speed with my spinner
completely removed !!. It was removed for the Talybont trip as I still have
seemingly incurable vibration. (which for comfort and safety reasons I prefer
to reduce)

BWFX is a standard 912 powered Europa with WD. prop precisely set to 17 degrees
and accurate rpm readings from the (assumed accurate) digital Skydrive 'Flydat'
engine monitor.

PS. To those who 'cruise all day at TAS: 120 knots'
Congratulations. Can I meet up with you sometime and learn how it's done (:-)
(Suburu and 914 powered Europa's need not apply!!!)

alan