p-gauge - the sequel

Subject: p-gauge - the sequel
From: Gramin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 01:40:31
Have decided to continue with this for 3 reasons.

a) doors aren't banned just because you could open them and jump out.

b) the serious one, the overfill problem goes away if you adopt a side
filler.   The tube can't be depressed lower than the height of the rule body
(2") plus a bit more for the distance to the top of the tank.   So the filler
can still be above the top of the tank and overfilled  without exceeding the
lowest pipe top.

Worth noting that this minimum depression stops you probing very low fills,
as the meniscus can't be drawn up far enough before the bottom of the tube
comes out of the top of the tank.  The solution is only to draw it up till
you can just see it , but read the scale as it leaves the rule, allowed for
during calibration.  Unusable fuel gives you some margin anyway.. Inadvertent
withdrawal of the tube can be prevented in several ways, but the neatest is
to disassemble the rule and shorten it (unless you have a 2m. deep tank
(:-))).

c) IMHO the advantage of really knowing your fuel state on the ground is
overwhelming.

psst -  I have enough washing up liquid to last ten years having bought 2 of
every make, looking for the best caps.  Nearly got arrested for shaking and
opening them all in the store - they couldn't work out who would want to
spike washing fluid - staff training being changed to detect Europa builders
 (:-)))

BTW I have some kits of parts which I will keep in the aeroplane on my
travels to events around the country (UK) in the next few weeks- free to the
first to find me - sounds like the basis for a competition.

Graham C   G-EMIN  (another message before breakfast).