XS Wing vs Traditional Wing

Subject: XS Wing vs Traditional Wing
From: D.Howard@kid0110.wins.icl.co.uk
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:53:14

         I'm trying to get a handle on whether to go for the new pre-formed
         XS wing. I originally thought it was a no-brainer, however the
         more I talk to people the more uncertain I become.

         Advantages of pre-formed
         ------------------------
         Build time reduced (anybody prepared to give me an estimate ?)
         Finishing time reduced (estimates also welcome, there is clearly
         work to do around joins etc.)
         Better performance possibly ?
         Better stall characteristics ?
         Easier to build, balancing twisted foam blocks sounds tricky,
         though clearly many many builders have done this without problems.
         Higher resale value ?

         Advantages of traditional wing
         ------------------------------
         Cheaper
         Proven design, the pre-formed hasn't flown, doesn't have PFA
         approval yet, hasn't been spin tested etc.
         Easier to repair when you taxi into the hanger door
         Higher resale value ?
         Similar weight to pre-formed

         I'm trying to avoid the 'real builders use foam' angle though I do
         get a certain satisfaction from tailplanes now built.

         What have a I missed ?

         Cheers,

         Dave