Re: Engine cowling mods

Subject: Re: Engine cowling mods
From: Alan Stewart <alans@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:17:07
My standard (unmodified) 912 seems to run ok now, as far as the Flydat is
concerned. (TT: 84 hours)

Here are typical in flight figures.

NB. I HAVE backed off the lower cowl by the width of two tinnamen washers.
(bottom 4 screws), and the main jets in the carbs are raised a notch.
Apart from that, it's the standard cooling system.

All centigrade:

Outside air temp: circa 17 degrees at 1000 feet

Typical figures, all approximate

RPM:                 c 4900
CHT:                 90
Oil Pres:         3 - 4 bar
Coolant temp:         105
EGTS:                 740 - 840

It is quite hard these days to approach the 130, 140 C limits. In a sustained
climb in hot conditions you can approach this after a few minutes.

The EGT's could be less, but I don't know how to solve that one. Rotax say the
limits should be around 870 although the flydat warning (presumably for the 914)
triggers at 900 and 'registers' at 930.

I'm looking forward to my cool air carb air feed when it's available. (Engine
peaks 100 rpm faster with the top cowl off. Static c5350 Warp drive 17 degrees.)

alan