Flying. Economy ? wow it's true !

Subject: Flying. Economy ? wow it's true !
From: Gramin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:44:59
Having just flown for four legs totalling 7 hrs 25 min the following may be
of interest The data applies to the 912  Europa.

Only the sight gauge is fitted, carefully calibrated by pumping out 5 ltrs at
a time with the electric pump.

At the top of the first climb out, fuel appeared to be disappearing at an
alarming rate. The gauge which showed 50 ltr level at top of climb, had
become 35 after 20min. I would never make Cranfield, 3 hrs down the country,
so I was terrified into setting up an economy cruise at 4100 rpm ,and busying
myself searching for  the coordinates of suitable early diversions.

After that the gauge behaved in the  most extraordinary manner, first going
up a bit
to around 40 in the next 20 min,  then decaying very slowly over the next
half hour, to remain virtually stationary at the landing value of 28 ltrs.

The  4100 rpm.setting was kept for the remainder of the trip.  It was a
highly thermal weekend as all at Cranfield will know, so keeping the ASI dead
steady was not easy, but the round trip totals  773nm giving  105 kts
average, and there are four climbs and approaches in that.  Total fuel burn
83 ltrs, giiving 11.2 ltr/hr.

Might even be encouraged to open the throttle next time - after all its
embarrassing to cruise at C172 speeds.

Verdict on the sight gauge - great at showing the level in the tube, but for
the level in the tank .......hmmmnnnnn.

And who says you can't wheel a Europa on ?   Ask Graham S.  Mind you,  as all
my landings so far have been different, I wouldn't be surprised to find it
can be landed backwards by chance.  I believe someone tried to take off
backwards at Cranfield !

Graham, GEM IN the air