Re: Europa XS

Subject: Re: Europa XS
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 13:40:25
>Having hovered on the outskirts feeling completely out of  my depth and
>having observed some very dedicated builders work extremely hard on a plane
>that I felt might be slightly beyond my capabilities for quite a long time.
>As a pilot who is not particularly keen on hands on constuction or  perhaps
>capable of some of the more complex portions of the build, I would have to
>say that I am heartened by anything that makes it easier & or quicker to
>build, let alone a more capable aircraft.

snip

Truth of the matter is that lack of experience is no problem: as a licenced
aircraft engineer, some aspects of the build are familiar, but even with
considerable composites experience (commercial, boats, and so on) It has
been very much a learning experience. At the end of the day, the build can
be broken down to one thing at a time, few of them critical. I, like all the
other 400 builders around me, wish that the quickbuild wings had been
available (I wonder how much time they'll really save...), but unless you're
well caked, the only way to get a Europa is to get on with it -and if you
buy your way into the family, you'll miss out on one of the real pleasures
-that of creating a very superior aeroplane exactly as you want it. Spending
a large part of 2-3 years in the workshop isn't exactly my choice of
activities, but the price is worth the result: if you have any doubts, go
and fly one of the demonstrators. For the majority of builders, that's all
it took.

MIles