Master trim disconnect . . .

Subject: Master trim disconnect . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:08:18

 /Regarding your post to the RV-List about trim disconnects;

 <  You can implement a VERY failure tolerant system using the stock
 <  "coolie hat" type switches combined with either a "TRIM ARM"
 <  pushbutton on the stick or a "MASTER TRIM DISCONNECT". Either
 <  system may be built up from currently available components.

 /I had been thinking of using a pull breaker to disconnect my elevator trim and
 /switch on the stick to disconnect my autopilot servo. How would the system you
 /describe differ? Would both the AP servo and elevator trim be disconnected by
 /one switch? If I send you a SASE could you return a schematic?

   The way it's usually done on the big ships is to put a single
   flight systems disconnect switch on the stick or wheel so that
   the pilot doesn't have to go looking for a breaker or another
   switch while the malfunctioning system is driving things further
   and further out of trim.

   A single relay is wired in a latching configuration to supply
   power to all systems capable of moving flight surfaces. A normally
   closed pushbutton on the stick or wheel is used to unlatch the
   relay and kill power to all flight surface movers.  The system
   is reset with another button on the panel.

   When funny things start happening, you don't want to be using a lot
   of time to stop the motion . . . the longer it takes to shut down
   an errant system, the further out of trim you become.  A #10 SASE
   with the words "master trim disonnect" on the back of it mailed
   to 6936 Bainbridge Road, Wichita, KS  67226 will get the interested
   party a schematic.

   Bob . . .

  P.S. is anyone experiencing shifts in format for my
  postings? Some email programs like to throw away the
  indents and quotes I've inserted by hand.  The stuff
  looks okay to me when it's echoed back but is anyone
  out there having problems with extraneous character
  insertions and/or loss of format?  If so, what kind of
  e-mail software are you using?

  BTW, you folk over the pond don't have to send an SASE,
  it's difficult I know and I don't get much utility from
  IRCs . . . I'll send it to any who e-mails the request.
  Feel free to distribute locally.