To fiddle or not to fiddle . . .

Subject: To fiddle or not to fiddle . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 00:47:33

 /I don't question Bob's assessment of the essential bus,
 /but I do  have an experience to share here.

   >If the job is done right, the probability of a fuse opening
   >is very close to zero . . . when it does, there's something
   >broke . . . and there's no value in fiddling with it it flight.

 /That's ALMOST always true.  I once had an intermittent short in
 /my  panel wiring ground out my panel lights while I was IMC at
 /night  shortly after departure from San Diego (in a Grumman Yankee).
 /The  momentary grounding blew the fuse.   I flew the airplane thru the
 /overcast using a flashlight in my teeth to see the panel (that's why
 /I always keep the flashlight on a string hanging from my neck... easy
 /to find).

 /After I was thru the overcast I replaced the fuse, and found that
 /the panel lights worked OK for the approach back into Los Angeles.
 /It was a lot easier with working panel lights than with just a flashlight.

 /The next day I found the abraded wiring and made sure it was properly
insulated.

 /Given that experience I'll likely opt to keep my fuses/breakers
 /within reach.  In general, however, if a fuse blows it'll probably
 /blow again if replaced, 'cause it blew for a reason.

    But you didn't read the article . . . #1 on the essential bus
    list of goodies is panel lighting . . . not 5 amps of post lights
    and internally lit gizmos but a simple panel flood . . . a maximum
    of .16 amps. How about a goose-neck mounted map light that can
    point into your lap hands free for map reading and be twisted
    to cover the panel during alternator out and/or situations like you
    describe above?  The proscription is if someting is essential,
    have a backup for it. If not essential, don't worry about it. But in
    either case, don't be a mechanic in flight. Flashlights are
    not my idea of backup for normal panel lighting. It's rediculously
    EASY to have TWO systems . . . one fancy on the main bus and one
    simple system on the essential bus.

    I'll suggest that the thoughtfully designed system should never
    present you with a good reason for fiddling with fuses or breakers
    in flight.