Exp-Bus . . .

Subject: Exp-Bus . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 11:37:34

 /The same board is used for the 40 and 60 Amp versions -
 /The board is capable of 60 Amps but the master relay, on
 /the board, is only rated at 40 Amps. When 60 Amps is desired,
 /you solder three pads together on the board, or buy it already
 /done and add a remote master solenoid. Typical wiring diagrams
 /are provided.

   Master relays should always be mounted within inches of
   the battery to minimize the amount of un-protected, always
   hot wire between the battery and the master relay. VERY
   IMPORTANT . . . the battery master should also control
   starter current . . . starter contactors can stick shut
   and give you no auxiliary means for shutting off the flow
   of power to the starter.

 /Any load over 9 Amps will require a regular circuit breaker, or
 /heaven forbid, a fuse. So your pitot heat will need it's own
 /breaker and switch.

   Why is it desirable to put part of your circuit protection
   on an expensive, fabricated assembly that is NOT flexible
   in terms of future additions that still makes you cover
   things like pitot heat and landing lights as a separate
   bus and protection system? What's the problem with a fuse?
   If the job is done right, the probability of a fuse opening
   is very close to zero . . . when it does, there's something
   broke . . . and there's no value in fiddling with it it flight.

 /If you don't use switch 2 for the alternator field, it's
 /available for any 5 amp load.

   What are the alternatives?  Are you considering an alternator
   with a built-in regulator? Granted, they're attractive for
   simplicity of installation but cannot be fitted with over
   voltage protection.  One of my readers smoked several
   expensive gizmos in his airplane on the way to Sun-n-Fun
   due to failure of a built-in regulator.  He planned to modify
   the system per my recommendations after Sun-n-Fun but it
   didn't last that long. . .

 /The remote switch capability is neat in that it allows you to group
 /switches as you desire, not as they require.

   As long as you're going to dismount the switches, what's
   the advantage to be gained with a $250 product that costs
   more than two to three times as much as some very practical
   alternatives?

 /I install a lot of specialty items in buildings
 /and since they have started using ptc's our service problems have
 /plummeted. I'm just tickled with their performance, besides, I
 /no longer have to worry about the location of the nearest radio
 /shack for replacement fuses when "I" blow one.

  Buildings and airplanes have nothing in common with respect to
  electrical systems design considerations.  Airplane branch feeds
  from the bus DO NOT nuisance trip . . . at least they shouldn't
  if they're designed right.  The fact that self-reseting breakers
  are a boon to anyone's lifestyle is a testament to poor design.
  In over 1,000 hours of flying, I've never had a breaker open in
  flight on airplanes ranging from C-120 to A-36. If a breaker
  ever DOES open, I'm NOT going to mess with it in flight (except
  for the 60 amp alternator breaker on Pipers and Cessnas . . .
  that one is DESIGNED to nuisance trip).  Of the 150,000 airplanes
  in the GA fleet and assuming an average of 15 breakers per
  airplane, there are over 2 million breakers flying of which
  the vast majority will never be called upon to do their job.
  Why? because reliabilty is supposed to be designed in.

  Hate to be pedantic about this but there are serious
  deficiencies with the EXP-Bus design in addition to
  failure to meet their advertising hype. I've caught some
  flack about posting the 4-page critical design review
  on this product to the list . . . yet people among
  you recommend this product and at the same time, didn't
  read what I wrote about it . . . one fellow told me he automatically
  deletes any piece over a few thousand bytes; a "don't bother
  me with facts, my mind is already made up" syndrome.

  If someone believes in this product, then at least do me the
  honor of debating my evaluation, especially if you're going
  to recommend it to the less enlightened in such glowing terms.
  List-servers are for the disemination of good information and
  a forum for weeding out the bad . . .I won't post the design
  review again but if anyone cares to read it for information
  -or- the purpose of engaging in useful debate, I'll respond
  to e-mail requests for copies.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection