Electrical Tips

Subject: Electrical Tips
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 00:30:51
  I am posting this dialog to all my favorite list-servers.
  There's value in everyone having an appreciation for
  resources afforded to us by the 'net' and how important
  it is that we utilize it to the best of our abilities. I've
  guarded our friend's anomnity, I beg him not to take offense
  for having quoted him so heavily.  This exchange is an excellent
  illustration of how the list-server should work. There are lots
  of folk out there with knowlege to share. Some of it comes in
  little bits, sometimes you can tap a whole career worth but no
  piece of fact should be bottled up and not shared. . . .

 /I would like to say thanks on behalf of myself and others
 /for all the tips and help that you pass along to those of
 /us who are very weak in our understanding of things electrical. . . .

   Thank you for your kind words. I really enjoy working with the amateur
   builders. Unlike beating your head against the wall and wailing to deaf
   bean-counters and marketing managers, I believe I can make a real
   difference here.

 /I have two questions to ask if I may, One is regarding a "terminal block"
 /which I purchased from Aircraft Spruce. This looked like such a neat
 /approach to a good wiring job that I wanted to install it. I found
 /however, That there is no continuous path as in a bus bar, so is this
 /just used as a grounding strip ?

   Those things are useless in an airplane. I complained about ACS having
   them in their catalog . . . the very presence of the device implies
   utility.  Your goal is to make every wiring path contain as few parts
   and wire segments as possible. Those rows of screws are a forest of
   potential failures in wiring. Please don't use it in your airplane.

 /Second, in regard to bus bars, I have seen strips of copper used
 /as in a Cessna, and a friend even cut a strip from 1/2 inch water
 /pipe for his . . .

   Go to a hobby shop and find a piece of sheet brass packaged up
   by a company called KB engineering. Get the heaviest sheet (it's
   0.032" I believe) and cut 5/8" wide strips from this nice, clean
   and very flat stuff. Flatness is very important and mashed pipe
   simply isn't.  You can also use pieces of flashing copper, some
   plumbers and roofers may have some scrap around you can get for
   very little money.

 /and yet another friend simply used a length of copper
 /house wire threaded through the back of those glass fuse holder
 /breakers.

  VERY poor practice. First, the cross section of the wire should be
  about 10AWG if it's to carry any size of alternator loads. Those
  terminals on fuse holders need to be wired with FLEXIBLE sements
  so that they don't relieve internal spring tension that is already
  marginal.  Those fuse holders are not suitable for use in situtations
  that get the temperature/humidity cycles of an airplane interior.
  Fuseholders with removable caps gave fuses a bad name . . . the holders
  went bad (sometimes from poor installation practice), the caps
  fall on the floor, etc. . . everyone now believes that breakers are
  superior and desirable.

  I highly recommend the Bussman fuse blocks for the plastic,
  automotive fuses. You can purchse 20 ready-to-wire, protected
  circuits all assembled with bus bar for about $35. MUCH less
  expensive than fuse holders, INFINITLY less expensive than breakers
  and MORE reliable due to reduced parts count and uncorrupted,
  gas-tight, thread-less, spring loaded connections between fuse
  and fuse holder.

 /I did the same since you consider that it normally carries 110 volts,
 /so it should be fine and neat for an aircraft 12 volt system. What say you ?

  Please consider replacing it with either breakers or pre-fab fuse
  blocks. Ideally, fuses should be OUT of REACH under the panel.
  You need to design your system for failure tolerance and be a mechanic
  on the GROUND, not in the air. When a fuse pops, something is WRONG.
  Save the trouble shooting until on the ground. My favorite examples
  of how NOT to deal with electrical systems include an L-1011 where
  the cockpit crew allowed a perfectly good airplane to fly into the
  Everglades with a load of passengers while they were busy "fixing"
  a gear-down indicator light. The second is Ricky Nelson's DC-3 which
  caught fire after someone kept resetting the heater breaker because
  it was getting so cold in the cabin!

  Guys, I cannot stress this any too strongly. There are very simple
  details which can stack against you.  Let's let the spam-can drivers
  do their traditional, padded cockpit, federally mandated trips down
  the yellow brick road.  You folk have it made . . . you don't have
  to put up with systems that cost a lot to buy and maintain and will
  never be updated because of short-sighted regulation and endless
  bureaucracy. Just because it's flying around in 50,000 Cessnas
  doesn't make it good or right, just CERTIFIED.  It demonstrates,
  right or wrong,  how much those designs are carved in stone.

 /Sorry to be so long and wordy but I have been a sideline observer
 /for a few months and appreciate what you and others like you contribute
 /to our knowledge base and our confidence.

  That's precisely what EAA and experimental aviation is all about.
  Critical design review is necessary and good and it will happen
  only when we get together on the lists and share the good, bad and the
  ugly.  Many people are reluctant to share their unhappy experiences
  but they do the rest of us a dis-service; the same experience
  keeps getting repeated over and over  . . . . in secret.  If I had
  ONE good thing to say about working in a functional design group
  (I have the pleasure of participating in the ONLY one at Raytheon-
  Beech) it's that we support each other, warts and all. We're damned
  good at what we do and it's because we're doing it together and
  when one guy stumbles, there's a dozen there to help him up.

 /I also would like to keep my antennae inside the airplane ala
 /copper strip as Van has done, but I am afraid I would mess it up.

   So you mess it up? Then you fix it. We all got our knees
   skinned up learning to ride roller skates and bicycles,
   why should airplanes be any different? You can minimize the
   risks by asking questions an making sure you understand what
   is required before beginning the task but risk will NEVER be zero.
   You can sure drive it in that direction by continuing with
   what you've started . . . get the conversation going on whatever
   topic on your favorite list-server.

   Hey!!! Anyone out there messed up an internal antenna installation
   on a canopy?  How bad was it and how would you recommend that he
   NOT proceed? Help this guy out and keep him from repeating the
   error. . . .

       Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection