Battery installations

Subject: Battery installations
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 12:35:16
 //I'm using a HDPE (high density polyethylene) tray with a simple woven
 //nylon tie down strap and 16 plastic ties to hold it to the steel in the
 //fuselage. I don't have to put mine very far back but it is on the wall
 //just aft of the baggage compartment (not a Kitfox though). I bought the
 //battery tray and the ratcheting nylon strapping at Eagle Hardware for a
 //little over $6.

  When strapping a battery into the airplane . . . especially when it's
  BEHIND you, make sure that the attaching methodology -AND- the structure
  you attach are good for at least 10 times the weight of the battery
  or about 250-300 pounds.  Airplanes with the battery forward are less
  sensitive to this but it's good practice to minimize the number of
  things that run into your body during unplanned arrivals with the
  earth.

      Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection