Breaker Sizing

Subject: Breaker Sizing
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 10:27:23
 >I am adding Mitchell electric oil temp and pressure gauge.
 >Mitchell states these each pull .8 amps.  I would prefer
 >to protect both these gauges with one CB or in-line fuse.
 >Is there not a rule of thumb to determine CB size for a
 >particular load?  I am assuming a 2 amp breaker would be
 >adequate for this application (total of 1.6 amp load).

    There's a popular mis-conception floating around suggesting
    that breakers protect gizmos while in fact, a breaker or
    fuse has the task of protecting only the wire which
    branches off the distribution bus.  The smallest practical
    wire for airframe installations is 22AWG. Per the wire
    table I published earlier this week, a 22AWG is good for
    5amps in free air . . . (OOPS, just checked the table and
    found I'd left out a couple of values. Here's the table
    with the two missing numbers)

   AWG   Ohms/   35C Rise   10C Rise      Max Path
   No.   KFeet   Amps        Amps    for .7 volt Loss
                                       at 35C rating.

   2     .156     100         54         45 Ft
   4     .249      72         40         39 Ft
   6     .395      54         30         32 Ft
   8     .628      40         20         27 Ft
   10    .999      30         15         23 Ft
   12    1.59      20         12.5       22 Ft
   14    2.53      15         10         18 Ft
   16    4.01      12.5        7         14 Ft
   18    6.39      10          5         11 Ft
   20    10.2       7          4         10 Ft
   22    16.1       5          3          8 Ft

   So our 22AWG wire is good for 3 amps burried in
   a wire bundle.  In the suituation where we
   intend to drive 1.6 amps of hardware, 22AWG
   is adequate in any installation scenario. Further,
   since the CONTINUOUS load is not over 3 amps,
   we could burry the wire in a bundle and still
   PROTECT it with a 5 amp breaker since any expected
   overload would most likely be a hard fault. There's
   no need to de-rate the wire for protection purposes
   because the continuous duty load is so small.

   In answer to the writer's question, any breaker
   from 2 to 5 amps is okay in this situation.  I'm
   a little suspicious of the .8 amp figures for
   power to operate those instruments; here's why.

   .8 amps times 14 volts is over 11 watts. Since there's
   no ENERGY coming out of this system other that to wiggle
   some pointers on an insturment, ALL of this power comes
   off as heat. Which gizmos in each system disipate all
   or any part of this much energy?  Certainly not the
   instruments . . . anything more than about 2-3 watts
   inside a plastic case would COOK the innards.  How
   about the transducers?  Hmmmm . . . I suppose they
   COULD stand that kind of dissipation, they're designed
   to function in a warm environment.  But when the
   rest of the world routinely produces sensors that
   operate with tens of milliamps, I'm having trouble
   visualizing how the thing would be build to consume
   10 times that amount of power.

   I'd recommend rechecking the literature -or- contacting
   the manufacturer -or- hooking them up on the bench
   with a power supply and see what the real numbers
   are.  I SUSPECT they are considerably less.

   This doesn't change the breaker sizing task but it
   does afford more confidence in the system's ability
   to survive . . . 11 watts is alot of snort to handle
   in a task that's been seeing smaller and smaller
   power requirements through the evolution of new
   designs.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection