Conversion Course

Subject: Conversion Course
From: Mark Talbot <markt@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:22:04

Just a note to say that I spent three exciting days at Kemble last week
flying G-BWCV (Subaru E81) with Martin Stoner. My previous flying experience
has been rather varied, from Chipmunks in 1966, Bell 47 helicopters and
Robinsons spasmodically, Gyroplanes from 1978 to 1985 and then a Shadow
microlight till last year. So with no current "A" hours I was really
wondering what to expect with the monowheel Europa.

I am happy to report that Martin did a great job, giving me the confidence
to pass a GFT on the third day. He is great fun to fly with and a top rate
instructor; and to get three flyable days on the trot was really lucky in April.

The Europa is certainly different and I know I still have a lot of learning
to do before I master the peculiarites of taking off and landing. The Europa
makes it very obvious to newcomers that it will turn round and bite you if
you even think of relaxing on or in near contact with terra firma. In the
air it is certainly a most beautiful aeroplane to fly and I am absolutely
delighted with mine.

So now I hope to bash away at the landings until I feel I have a reasonable
chance of doing a greaser once in ---- what would you say? --- ten landings???
Mark Talbot (Europa G-BWCV)