Stage 1..Fin

Subject: Stage 1..Fin
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 13:26:36
Some thoughts on the FIN.
Fin Curve.
1.Interesting and effective way to draw the curve on the fin tip. Measure the
required

length(10cm) as given in the manual down from the leading edge and along the
tip.
With a
carpenters square, square off these points with a felt pen to their intersection
point.
---From that point draw a line to the apex(wings leading edge and tip)This is
the
radius
arm to use. Take a piece of string and tie one end to a felt pen place the other
end
along the line to a point the equals the same radius to each 10cm point. Mark
the
curve.
Dabs of glue.
2.Aircraft Spruce syringe for the dabs of rapid epoxy worked very well. Thanks
Tony.
Lightening Hole Blocks at Tip
3.To glue the lightening hole blocks I first numbered them off from the leading

edge.Then used an old ski pole to push them out.Cut them 10cm (not 5cm) at first
---From
the tip end (15cm the leading edge one) and place them back to get a comfortable
fit.
Don't push them back. Mark them 1cm proud of the tip end and withdraw them
again.
Cut
them on tht mark and then again 5cm back from there.(10cm leading edge)
To glue them I taped two 3cm jolthead nails to the ski pole (180degrees apart)
with
masking tape. Placed dabs of glue on the block where shown and then guided them
into the
holes with the block stabbed on the end of the ski pole supported by your other
hand.
Worked really well.
4.To finish, the curve required upon the tip itself is again the same radius as
required
for the chock. So I used the old glue gun cartridge method as for the
chock.Refer
last
email message from me.

I must say it has been invaluable to me to see what other builders have done
after

visiting eight builders here in NZ and Britain. Many thanks and I recommend it
to any
prospective first time builder. The delay to commence building due to not having
'real' workshop has worked out well as it has allowed me to read the manual x
2.and

annoy other builders. Backed up with this medium(thanks Peter Thomas) you can
certainly

enter into this project with confidence.Reading the manual right through is
imperative

as it gives you a holistic view of the project,  emphasis on certain aspects and
the
need to read ahead can not be stressed more as misinteruptation of the
instructions
can
be easily corrected by reading on.(Thanks Peter Davies)
Good fun.
Tim

--
Timothy. P. Ward