Alternator Filter Capacitor

Subject: Alternator Filter Capacitor
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:30:28

     The noise cap received in the F/W fwd kit appears not to be polarized.
     There is a band running down one side (next to one of the post) that
     has a "dashed" line on it.  Am I suppose to assume that this line is
     for the negative (-) connection?  SS or someone please help.

ALL capacitors values useful for noise filtering on the PM alternators
are aluminum electrolytic capacitors and you've got to search really
hard to find special a.c. rated capacitors that are NOT polarized.

Your assumption about the dahes being minus signs is correct. Other
manufacturers will mold little (+) and/or (-) symbols into the
plastic end caps. Others use a dot of red paint adjacent to the
positive termial. In any case, make SURE these capacitors are installed
correctly. I've had several builders get messes in the cockpit ranging
---From smoke, gooey stuff running out the ends and onto their shoes,
one builder had the end blow out making a lot of noise in addition
to the mess.  Installed properly, aluminum electrolytics are a good
and necessary addition to the electrical system. Installed wrong and
 . . . well . . . they smell bad too . . .

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////