RG Batteries

Subject: RG Batteries
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:37:26
/I'm not sure how robust a battery of this type
/will be in this  application.  I was under the
/impression these batteries were more  suitable
/for back-up and low current demands rather than
/regular engine  starting.  They are also a bit
/fussy about being correctly recharged.

   A very large market for sealed lead acids
   is battery backup for uninterruptable power
   supplies for computers. Of course they're
   very popular for a lot of emergency power
   situations such as exit lighting, etc.  The
   little versions are showing up in everything
   from camcorders to cellphones. There was some
   mythology floating around for some time that
   all sealed batteries were "fragile" while in
   fact, this was a carryover from people's experiences
   with gel cells . . . which are indeed easier to
   damage from overcharge than their flooded cousins.

   Some general notes on life . . . . Consider
   that a lead-acid battery that is cycled off the
   top 5% or so of capacity will transfer many
   more watt-seconds over it's lifetime than if it's
   cycled down to 50% of capacity per cycle. This
   is one reason why subtle changes in construction
   and chemistry are necessary for a battery are
   needed for deep cycle operation in golf carts, etc.

   Let's compare two battery scenarios using
   identical chemistry.  Suppose we need 200 amps
   for 5 seconds to crank up the engine. This
   works out to 12,000 watt-seconds of energy
   pulled from the chemistry.  Consider that a
   10 a.h. battery will deliver about 400,000
   watt-seconds while a 24 a.h. battery will pump
   out 950,000 watt-seconds.  Cranking the same
   engine from the two batteries pulls them down
   3 percent and 1.2 percent respectively.

   Now, in spite of the fact that BOTH batteries
   are initially capable of doing the same job
   when new, the smaller battery is being cycled
   2.5 times deeper than the big guy.  So, in spite
   of the fact that both are properly maintained
   AFTER the engine starts, the smaller battery
   can be EXPECTED to degrade faster from use.

   With respect to general robustness, the RG
   batteries I certified onto single engine
   airplanes had NO practical current limit for
   recharge . . . meaning that you could put them
   on a constant voltage bus with a pair of
   400 amp starter generators and not fear for
   their health.  I also demonstrated the ability
   of two, 22-pound, 24 a.h. batteries to start
   a Beech C-90 (PT6 engines).  Now, in this
   application, they probably wouldn't last as
   long as the larger battery they replaced
   because of the cycle depth  (it takes
   about 60,000 watt-seconds to start a C-90)
   but then, the RG batteries were 1/20th the price
   of the ni-cads they replaced.  We're still wondering
   if we should do some cost of ownership studies to
   see if they're a practical subsititute

   When someone expresses some dis-satsifaction in the
   way an RG battery performs, I am primed to ask if
   they replaced with the SAME or SMALLER capacity,
   whether the battery was subject to total depletion
   followed by storage (battery master left on for
   two weeks . . . REALLY hard on a battery) and is the
   bus voltage where it belongs (13.8 to 14.2 tops).
   Initially, Concord asked that their RG products be
   maintained at 14.6 volts . . . about 0.4 volts higher
   than "normal".  At OSH last year, Skip Koss showed me
   test data which indicated that the RG battery charged
   at the nominal 13.8 volts contained no less engergy
   than one charged at 14.6 . . . .

   By-in-large, I find no reason to consider the RG
   batteries as more "fussy" or "fragile" than any other
   technology of lead-acid battery.  If one wishes to
   take advantage of their enhanced cranking capabilities
   and put in a LIGHTER battery of less capacity, then
   reduced service life should be EXPECTED . . . but
   considering that it's probably lower in cost too, the
   cost-of-ownership for keeping the battery servicable is
   probably close to a wash. The most useful thing you can
   do to extend battery life is keep the engine tuned up
   and deduce the technique for reduced cranking TIME.

   Electronic ignition is a BIG plus . . . these
   engines start in a few blades if there's fuel . . . so
   look at primer systems and best technique for use.  How
   many people consider fuel sytems operations when trying
   to optimize battery life? (da leg bone's connected to the
   thigh bone . . . da thigh bone's connected to the . . .
   well you all know how it goes).

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection