Re: New Engine

Subject: Re: New Engine
From: Richard Meredith-Hardy <rmh@flymicro.winuk.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 00:54:24
>Duncan McFadyean wrote:
>
>The BMW programme rolls on. It comprises an excellent engine, an excellent
>gearbox and an excellent prop. The challenge is to get all three working in
>harmony (or to be precise, harmony without resonance if that`s not an
>oxymoron!). The requirement is to produce a reliable conversion which pilots
>can
>trust; there`s more to it than bolting on the gearbox and seeing the propellor
>turn. Again, more news at the seminar.

Having flown this new(ish) BMW in a French Trike six months ago I
can recommend it.  The installation had a centrifugal clutch, used
an ordinary Rotax "C" box mounted on a cast bellhousing and had a
fairly basic exhaust system.

It appeared to have as much power as a
912, (yes, I've flown those in trikes too) was remarkably quiet and,
considering the rather unsophisticated engine mount arrangement,
(a trike / boxer twin 4 stroke has its own particular problems,
particularly at idle, as the trike itself weighs less than the
engine....), very very smooth. They claimed about the same weight as
a 912 for the complete installation which was believable but a
rather more interesting price.

Having flown other BMW's in my time, its the first with a decent
power to weight, no ice, and think of the fun to be had tweaking
the injection...

Regards;

Richard Meredith-Hardy
rmh@flymicro.win-uk.net  Tel: 01462 834776 FAX: 01462 732668