Alternator b-lead breakers

Subject: Alternator b-lead breakers
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:31:01
/I have a perplexing problem and hope some of you electrical
/type gurus can help. My C-150 Alternator CB  (60 amp)
/trips under full load  (radio, transponder,taxi and
/landing light, nav and beacon  on) when engine rpm
/exceeds 1200 RPM  and electric flaps are cycled.

  This is a DESIGN problem endemic with ALL Cessnas.
  It's a condition that happens too many times . . .
  sometimes with unhappy consequences.

  A 60-amp alternator, under some conditions, will put
  out MORE than 60 amps. It's unusual for an airplane
  to DRAW more than 60 amps but consider this scenario.

  Master switch left on and you go out to fly on a cold
  morning.  You put jumper cables on and get the engine
  started.  Now, the alternator is COLD, battery discharged,
  but you need to run lots of things on your way out to
  the runway.  Under this condition, the alternator
  may indeed be putting out up to 70 amps because it's
  cold and the airplane loads PLUS battery recharge loads
  exceed 60 amps.

  Now our happless friend is unaware of the fact that
  his alternator b-lead breaker has opened and he
  launches into the overcast only to have everything
  go dark minutes later when he uses up what little
  charge was put back into the battery during preflight.

  Nothing is broke . . . everything is working just the
  way it was designed to do. Yet a properly annointed
  flight system has been designed into thousands of
  airplanes with a potentially hazardous flaw. . . .

/CB will not trip when engine is not running, even when flaps
/are cycled and all electrics are on.

  Yes, because the alternator is not putting out any power
  when the engine is not running.

/I Have checked and cleaned all connections which is
/about the limit of my electrical expertise. Anything
/else is pure speculation on my part. My  local
/maintenance shop tested CB to 45 amps and it held
/fine.

  I'd hope so . . . it is after all a 60-amp breaker.

/I'm hesitant to spend bucks to replace CB if problem is
/voltage reg or  alternator or ?. Bucks are tight and
/SUN-N-FUN calls. Would appreciate any help/suggestions.

  First, how old is your battery? Is it fully charged
  while all this is going on?  Normally, the condition
  you are experiencing can occur only if the battery
  is ADDING to normal aircraft loads.  It's also possible
  that your alternator is a bit more robust than the
  production average and/or the breaker has drifted down
  slightly in its trip setting.

  This doesn't represent much  of a hazard if you
  understand the phenomenon and avoid the situation
  that precipitates the event . . . don't turn EVERYTHING
  on at once.  On the other hand, if this is a new
  phenomenon then something has CHANGED. You should
  track it down . . . shorted cell in battery? Voltage
  regulator set too high?  Have you checked the bus
  votlage with engine running? Shouldn't be over 14.2 volts
  in warm climes. Is the battery fully charged when this
  happens (go fly around for an hour with as much stuff
  OFF as you can . . . if the airplane is ammeter
  equipped, see that battery recharge current has reduced
  to a few amps and that the bus voltage is not too high.
  You need to deduce the COMBINATION of things that's causing
  the breaker to trip.  Putting a clamp on ammeter on
  the alternator b-lead while duplicating the trip
  condition would be useful . . . you can SEE how much the
  alternator is putting out when it happens. There's no
  substitute for test equipment.

  In amateur built airplanes, I recommend at least 70-amp
  protection on a 60-amp alternator . . . remember, fuses
  and breakers protect wires . . . not equipment. If the
  60-amp breaker pops for reasons specific to it's job
  in the airplane then the alternator is HURT BAD . . .
  shorted diodes most likely. Having a 4AWG b-lead wire
  protected with 70 amp fuse is very much in order.

  This is another classic example of how little most
  FBO staff know about troubleshooting electrical systems.
  Protect yourselves guys . . . knowlege is a powerful
  tool.

  Moral of the Story:  Don't jump-start any airplane and
  launch into the blue until the battery is well on its
  way to being fully charged.  Exceptions: Day VFR, you
  KNOW about the possiblity of nuisance trip, you REDUCE
  loads as much as possible to keep the alternator loads
  down until the battery is recharged, and you keep an
  eye on the breaker.  Unfortunately, while boring holes
  in clouds, breakers are not on most pilot's scan lists.
  Oh yes, ADD very active and attention getting low voltage
  warning system to your airplane . . . I have schematics
  and bill of materials for those interested.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////