Re: Parking brake (and dual throttles)

Subject: Re: Parking brake (and dual throttles)
From: Peter S. Lert <peterlert@montrose.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:35:33
The problem is, of course, that if you're using a Teleflex-style dual
cable to link one throttle to the other, one or the other end of it will
be running "the wrong way."  Incidentally, such cable is available quite
cheaply at marine stores, either for remote engine throttles or for
remote steering arrangements for small outboard engines.

Before going further, please bear in mind that I'm nowhere near Kit 4
yet, so I have only the vaguest idea of how it works on the Europa as
normally fitted...

Anyway, what springs to mind is to make the left-side throttle arm
fairly long, with a pivot at the center--thus as the handle moves
forward, the bottom part moves aft, imparting a push to the cable.  The
cable, in its sheath, then runs aft from the left-side throttle, makes a
turn inboard through the seatback/tank structure, turns forward again,
and connects with the "as designed" throttle linkage.  About the only
tricky part will be to route the cable such as not to violate its
minimum curve radius constraints, but some types can make remarkably
sharp turns.

I guess my other thought would be that training oneself to execute the
desired maneuvers--landings, akro, etc--with the left hand costs less
and weighs nothing!