Re: Subaru engine--do you like it?

Subject: Re: Subaru engine--do you like it?
From: David Dufton <dufton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 23:02:41
>Hello--
>
>        I'd be very interested to hear a bit more about your experiences with
>the NSI Subaru.  I've been to their factory and know Lance Wheeler; in
>fact, a good friend of mine is their new test pilot.

Peter, thanks for your comments re my subaru/tri-gear/europa.

Yes, the "sprag clutch" has given some trouble - in fact mine entered the
"first mode of failure" quite quickly - it became stiff to turn by hand
after about 20 hours.  NSI were immediately informed, by which time we had
learnt of the failure in the States.  However, we also learnt that the US
customer had insisted on NSI delivering the transmission unit for his EA81
Europa before the factory had tested it, as he was determined to fly-in to
Oshkosh last year come hell or high water.  NSI reluctantly agreed to the
customers request, and the subsequent failure occurred, due, we believe,  to
running the engine (and untried/untested transmission!) at full power all
the way to Oshkosh in order to meet a deadline there ...

Well, NSI have since modified the transmission unit and no further
"problems" have shown up.  My experiences with NSI have been most positive,
and I think the EA81 is an excellent power unit for the Europa, in spite of
its extra 80lbs or so weight viz-a-viz the Rotax 912.  In fact, as you are
operating from an airport elevation of over 9000ft, other than the very
expensive and complex Rotax 914, do you have much choice?  The 140hp turbo
version with the NSI CAP seems ideal.

The CAP has performed very well on the "trial horse" Europa here in the UK,
and it seems that most of the Subaru-powered Europas here will go for it.  I
am currently running with the ground-adjustable 64" diameter Warp Drive
prop, and it does seem to be doing the job so far - the additional weight of
the trike conversion (around 28lbs) may prohibit adding the extra weight of
10lbs for the CAP, which, if fitted, would need some 5lbs of lead in the
tail to get the CoG back in range!

If I were to start building a Europa again, I would be -ultra- weight
conscious, something I developed far too late in the build process, i.e.
when I had finished the damned thing!  The standard Europa with the 912
engine is weighing -in at anything between 735 lbs and 812lbs, quite a
staggering spread.

David Dufton G-OURO                 ______{*}______
e-mail dufton@avnet.co.uk                  0