Logistics, not technical. Where to build a Europa?

Subject: Logistics, not technical. Where to build a Europa?
From: John O'Connor <OCONNORJ@btmaa.bel.alcatel.be>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:02:41
This question isn't really specific to a Europa. It could apply to any
kit but I think that this is the best place to ask and I intend to
apply the answer to a Europa.

Work moves me around Europe but at least I generally have some choice
as to where. I aim to start off with the stage 1 kit in the summer when
my next assignement will begin and I'd hope to have it finished by the
time that I finish the assignment.

So, I am facing the question of which country to pick out of Western
Europe. Are there any in which building a kit plane is such a bad idea
that I should avoid them? The things that matter are of course
inspections, registering and flying an aircraft and also, what happens
if I build the stage 1 kit in (say) the Netherlands and then move on to
Germany for the next stage?

---From the point of view of restrictions on use and maintainence, is
there much to choose from between the countries? I know, for example,
that a UK registered homebuilt may not be used other than for daytime
VFR and that a recovery 'chute is not allowed whereas the latter is
allowed (mandatory?) in Germany.

Also, how much space and how many hours are needed for the stage 1 kit?
Clearly, I'd need to make sure that the length of my next contract and
whatever accommodation I rent both fit in.

Regards

John O'Connor