Re: Peel Ply etc. Questions

Subject: Re: Peel Ply etc. Questions
From: europa aviation ltd <enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 08:05:39

>         Having just completed the fin I could do with some help and advice
>         on the use of peel ply and general finishing layup techniques to
>         ensure future components are a bit tidier.
>
>         Q1. Should the glass on a second ply be cut shorter than the glass
>         on the first ? The good book describes this for the first side of
>         the fin (where several widths of peel ply will be applied) but no
>         mention for the second side (where just 1 width of peel ply is to
>         be used). Is there a general rule ?
>
>         Q2. Once you've applied a layer of peel ply, what's the best way
>         to wet it out given it's difficult to squeegy off excess resin
>         especially on a curved leading edge.
>
>         Q3. I've finished up with excess resin either side of the peel
>         ply, is this a problem or can I simply sand it off at the
>         finishing stage.
>
>         Q4. My peel ply leaves odd blue strands within the layup which I
>         can't remove. Is this a problem and should I get some less bitty
>         peel ply.
>
>         Any related tips gratefully received.
>
>         Happy New Year
>
>         - Dave Howard (#309)

Hope the following will help:-

A1.     A second ply laid onto the previous ply should always be shorter
than the first to avoid having a kink and, therefore, weak point.  The peel
ply on the first fin layup serves to prepare the surface for subsequent
bonding, whereas the the peel ply on the second layup is simply to produce a
smooth edge to the fibres.

A2.     Stipple it with a brush to get the best results.

A3.     Excess resin is best removed before it cures.  You can soak it out
using old rags if squeegying is awkward.  You can sand it off down to the
level of the fibres but not beyond this, so you do end up with excess resin
still there.

A4.     The odd strand is not a problem.

Regards

Andy

Web Site at www.europa-aviation.co.uk
     Fax No 44 1751 431706