Re: WARNING - Zinc Chromate Primers

Subject: Re: WARNING - Zinc Chromate Primers
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:33:17
At 21:24 02/01/97 GMT, you wrote:
>Duncan McFadyean mentioned using Alodine instead of anodising the alloy
>parts. I have already anodised most of my parts, but I am interested in the
>possibility of using Alodine on the remaining few. Any idea of where it can
>be obtained and how much.
>
>Thanks,  David Watts.

Alodyne, Alumiprep (the pre-alodyne acid cleaner -essential) and zinc
chromate paint in various forms (spray cans, epoxy 2-packs) are available
---From aircraft spruce.

The standard aircraft finishing rationale is as follows:

Alodyne provides a similar surface to anodising (it's chemical anodising, if
you like) -it's hard, corrosion resistant (it's inert, itself) and paint
bonds to it far better than aluminium alloys.

Zinc chromate provides "active" corrosion prevention -as well as acting as
an undercoat. Epoxy is best because it adheres extremely well, but makes for
a poor finishing coat -it goes dull and dusty in time.

Linear polyurathanes (2-pack) of the correct type provided an excellent long
lasting, damage resistant finishing coats. But -it is difficult to repair
seamlessly.

Personally, I won't use etch primer on critical parts.

All the best,

Miles