Re: taildragger conversion

Subject: Re: taildragger conversion
From: Graham E Laucht <graham@ukavid.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 20:00:52
In message <970102191117_101234.3202_GHV77-1@CompuServe.COM>, Duncan
McFadyean <101234.3202@compuserve.com> writes
>Drag from well faired fixed gear is conventionally thought to be insignificant
>below about 120mph. But I wouldn`t have GUESSED any more than 5 to 10 mph
>would
>be lost from top speed.

I thought the reasonable comparison of ratios of parasite to total drag
was around 0.65Cdp for a fixed and 0.85Cdp for a rectractable though
those numbers usually relate to conventional gear and not to a single
inline tandem.

> although Europa layout
>dictates reduced separation of the legs.

Must be to do with the central hump, does that therefore discount it as
a desirable mile high club machine?
The excellent stability had I thought qualified it especially it's
compliance with JAR-VLA23 ie. the bit about establishing the safety of
operation including the range of lateral centres of gravity if possible

Otherwise I like the notion of tapered rod spring gear, simple in fact
elegant in many respects and a big plus, the aircraft won't fall over
when you take the wings off. There is a nice example of the genre in the
new Glasstar which shows the simplicity of construction. The only
downside is the rods cost a bomb and do rather loosen the fillings off
piste.

--
Graham E Laucht