Re: taildragger conversion

Subject: Re: taildragger conversion
From: Duncan McFadyean <101234.3202@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 14:11:17
I had thought about conventional gear too, but decided to build the Europa as
originally intended (for now!).

 Add to your list of "fors" increased prop clearance.

Drag from well faired fixed gear is conventionally thought to be insignificant
below about 120mph. But I wouldn`t have GUESSED any more than 5 to 10 mph  would
be lost from top speed.

I had in mind Wittman taper rod (available off the shelf in the States) gear
taken directly off the LG mount a-la Vans RV series, although Europa layout
dictates reduced separation of the legs. No thought given to stress analysis.

Lets have some more debate on this one.

Duncan McFadyean.