FAQ & index (was: Should I?)

Subject: FAQ & index (was: Should I?)
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:28:59
Dennis Lowe wrote:

> [...]
[snip]
>I would be happy to offer my services.

Excellent! A volunter is better than ten pressed men!

I guess the first FAQ should be "How do I leave the Europa list?" :-)

Sounds as though you know what's involved, but if you want examples of how
to do this, but if you want inspiration I can point you at several worthy
examples.

>  At the moment I'm writing a short program to index and
>format the archived e-mail files so that I can easily get at the contents
>by subject.

Oh dear - we are good at re-inventing the wheel here! Of course, not until
you have got your index done will you find out that at least two other
people have done this already - Peter Thomas and myself. See our postings
in August 1996 for more info.

Basically, Peter has done something which is standalone for windoze users.
I've done a thing which munges the archive files into input for any
database (or spreadsheet at a pinch) program by converting it all to
tab-separated text. Let me know if you would like my C source for the
reformatting program (very little is Mac-specific, so should port easily
elsewhere).

I can also let you have my FileMaker Pro version of the index created by
that process - preferably not by e-mail, it's ~4M - but by floppy disc in
the post if we can agree a mutually compatible segmenting method. It will
run on any FMP3 installation in Mac, W3.1, W95. I can also export to a .DBF
version if that flavour appeals to you.

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...