Re: Punctures

Subject: Re: Punctures
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 08:37:40
you wrote:
> The proximity of the brake caliper to the
>bulging part of the tyre must be the prime suspect. Drop tests would probably
>not show damage with the wheel stationary, so perhaps an investigation is
>required before more of us suffer this expensive and potentially dangerous
>event.
>
>Graham C.

My feeling is the fault will be with the strength of the tire - Pitts
specials (the factory built ones) are worse in this respect, with 5" wheels,
and they don't seem to suffer punctures any more than any other aircraft.

They do have a tendency to knock the calipers off (they hang down at 6
o'clock too) if you really drop them in - (I've fixed a couple in my time)
and for that reason I'd prefer to mount the caliper up and back.

Anything in the design that might thwart my plans?

Miles