Re: door locks

Subject: Re: door locks
From: Peter Lert <plert@csn.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:49:24
Re the great Cat Door controversy:

1.)     If nothing else, I've had to implement fairly rigid cat door
discipline here at the shop to avoid excess fur being laminated into the
layups (to say nothing of little resin cat footprints elsewhere in the
house).

2.)     Perhaps it's because you Brits apparently lead the world in cat
flap technology (as opposed, for example, to Fowler flap, etc.).  A few
years ago, while living in the mountains of California, we had a big
problem with raccoons entering the house at night, via the cat flap, to
raid the feeding dishes and make a mess generally.

        The solution came from a Wolverhampton firm rejoicing in the name
"Impurrvious to Trespussers:" a bionic cat flap that can discriminate
between your prized moggy and other animals, whether raccoons or simply
unwanted neighborhood tomcats.  A pickup coil in the doorframe senses the
approach of desired cats, who wear a little magnet on their collar, and
powers up a solenoid to withdraw the locking pin.

        What this might have to do with aviation, I haven't the foggiest
(although in foggy weather one can resort to the time-honored "cat and
duck" system of istrument flying, q.v.), but perhaps it'll help the
gentleman looking for cat flap information.

        And with this pointless waste of everyone's time and bandwidth,
perhaps we can put the whole "flap" to rest...