Re: COZY: --WARNING-- W31 Circuit Breaker --WARNING--

Subject: Re: COZY: --WARNING-- W31 Circuit Breaker --WARNING--
From: Randy Crutfield <aa112737@dasher.csd.sc.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 16:36:29
 I've been on the sidelines on this one, and behind in my E-mail so I
waited until this string "played out" to post.  Just my opinion, and
please don't restart the string, merely add this point to your decision
process in choosing between breakers and fuses.

One of the key points that I keep in mind is KISS.  Now think about KISS
when considering breakers versus fuses.  One is a very simple device with
no moving parts, the other is not that complex, but does contain a few
more parts, some of which have to move.  My fear is not that I may not be
able to reset it because it has mechanically failed, but rather that it
may not trip because of a mechanical failure.

I'm sure that someone has seen a fuse that did not open under overload (I
have seen one), but I have seen quite a few molded case breakers in power
distribution systems mechanically fail and could not be switched off.  I'm
not sure if they would have tripped with an overload, but they definitely
could not be "switched" off.  Again, before you post I realize that
molded case breakers (these are the cheap kind that are in your house and
in larger form in most power distribution panels in industry) are not the
same as mil-spec aircraft quality breakers.  But, as Steven's post
indicated, even a higher quality breaker suffers from some of the same
problems.

Regarding the troubleshooting aspect, that needs a little more
consideration on my part.  My background is electronic\electrical and
also considering that I am the builder I feel confident that I will be
able to logically deduce which is the problem fuse.  My pilot wife for
all her virtues may not apply the same logic.

randy