Re: Mini-beams

Subject: Re: Mini-beams
From: Eric Evers <evers@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 12:35:07
>Blue@carolina-chat.com wrote
>
>>Please read the attachment.  Thanks, Robert
>>

>>        I design and make mini-beams for CB and Ham radios.  These
>

>Robert - I think you should know you're wasting your time posting your ads
>to the Europa List. This list is for discussion of the Europa home-built
>aeroplane, and has no interest in CB or ham radios. Posting ads
>indiscriminately like this is a good way to get a lot of people mad at you
>very fast.

So why take up even more time & space distributing the whole lot again?

Besides some Europa builders are also Radio Amateurs and may well be interested.
This enterprising chap is obviously an antenna expert and could well be able
to come up with some good designs for very efficient light weight aerials
for composite construction aircraft. E.g. for GPS and HF as well as the
obvious HF.
The aircraft band is very wide and a thin wire has a narrow bandwidth; a
large diameter tube gives a much wider bandwidth. Perhaps the tailplane
pivot tube could be tuned and loaded-up? (The electrical characteristic of
the steel is probably not good but it has a really useful diameter.)
Copper tape or braid should be much better than a thin wire for the VHF
bandwidth required and this could be accommodated in the fin or applied to
the inside of the rear part of the fuselage.  I feel that the leading edge
of the fin would give a better angular position than the trailing edge for
downward emmission (albeit biased to the ground below & behind.

           Btw for the record I am GM0 BVK
That's all for now from Eric Evers