--WARNING-- W31 Circuit Breaker --WARNING--

Subject: --WARNING-- W31 Circuit Breaker --WARNING--
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:54:47

>1.  The W31 breakers are not now specified in reguards to shock
>tripping.  The old spec. used to be 15 to 25 G's.  The low Amp. breakers
>up to about 4 Amps were good for 15 G's, above 4 Amps were good for 25
>G's.  Rapping on your hand is not a valid test.

>2.  From date code 9550 to present should be returned to your supplier
>for replacement!!!!  There is a manufacturing defect that has, as of
>today, not been corrected.  When the breakers trip, they can NOT be
>reset.  Breakers made before date code 9550 should be OK.

  For what it's worth, circuit breaker switches have very little
  practical use in an airplane . . . some builders are thinking
  that it makes life simpler because it eliminates the need for
  both breaker and switch . . . but keep in mind that breakers
  are by definition fed by bus bars.  Therefore, you now have
  to build a bus bar on the left side just to handle switched
  circuits and another bus bar just for breakers where the circuits
  have no switches.  This is one of the driving factors for
  the Fuse Block/Switch Panel architecture we've been writing
  about.  Your bus bars are purchased already made.  ALL circuits
  leading from the fuse block are protected and require no special
  treatment whether they go to a switch or to some other device
  not requiring a switch . . . . I wish Aircraft Spruce and
  others would get those breaker-switches out of their
  catalog.  Buyer beware . . . just because someone sells it
  doesn't mean they even know if it's a good idea or not . .

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection

    *  Go ahead, make my day . . .  *
    *   Show me where I'm wrong.    *