Fin/Rudder Tip Radius Matching

Subject: Fin/Rudder Tip Radius Matching
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 19:34:04
>>Is it possible to make the trailing edge of the fin's tip radius such that
it will blend exactly into the rudders?<<

Yes. I made ours and Charlie Laverty's roughly circular in vertical profile. The
trouble comes when you have to make the rudder turn 30 degrees to the left.
Because the hinge line is sloping evrthing on the rudder to the left of the
hinge line rises as it swings to the left.  This means either a gap at the top
of the fin, (so far I haven't seen anyone do this) or a recess in the top of the
rudder to clear the shroud on the fin, which then shows when the rudder is in
line.
It might be worth mounting a strobe close to the trailing edge of the fin and
using that to blend into the rudder.
I have made a premoulded spar for the fin/fuselage trailing edge which allows
the whole lot to be Clecoed together before finally floxing everything. It also
acts as a jig for the fin to fuselage joint. If anyone is interested please E
mail me or call. 01629 822 725.

Graham