Re: Check Out after Completion.

Subject: Re: Check Out after Completion.
From: Graham E Laucht <graham@ukavid.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 00:56:25
In message <199609300944_MC1-9EF-54E2@compuserve.com>, Bearder /
Barraclough <106313.2726@compuserve.com> writes
>To all FLYING Europa Owner,
>
>My friends completed their Europa very early in the spring which has JUST
>successfully flown its test program at Brunton/Wombleton after many months
>of delay,  and now they are finding great difficulty in getting checked out
>themselves.

Isn't this precisely what the PFA Coaching Scheme is designed to
overcome? My understanding is that the insurers have been generally
supportive of the scheme because it promises a disciplined approach to
the problem.

I know that most insurers have been insistant in the past on "check
outs" with type experienced pilots whenever full hull cover, and in some
instances when only liability cover is required.
Obviously this is easier when there are enough pilots qualified by type
hours alone to fulfil this. The insurers have maintained a private list
of suitable check ride babysitters per type.

Perhaps since the announcement of the PFA scheme they have altered their
stance which is unfortunate in the case of new designs where the number
of pilots with sufficient type hours AND the particular qualifications
of the PFA scheme are in short supply.
In theory therefore this could also affect existing designs where new
owners are looking to obtain insurance for the first time.

I have suggested to the PFA that they reconsider the prospective coach
qualification requirement to include those high hour type pilots who may
not have sufficient total hours to qualify as full blown scheme coaches.
A sort of second level down from the luminairies but able to bring the
experience of several hundreds of hours of a particular type to bear.

Judging by the presently published list of coaches, neither to my
knowledge with extensive Europa time, the thing looks somewhat stalled
at the moment.

Maybe a letter to Shoreham might oil the works.

--
Graham E Laucht