Trim switch ergonomics

Subject: Trim switch ergonomics
From: Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 03:36:33
There are eight extreme position combinations for the three elements of
trim-tab,indicator and switch, thus four ways of setting up the system.
The Europa manuals show- trim-tab UP, indicator UP, toggle  switch UP,
(and the reverse)  which at first sight all seems lcgical. Those of us
used to wheel trimming, have for years been pushing the top of the wheel
forward for nose down and the indicator follows in the same direction,
but in the Europa this would be reversed. A trim wheel in effect rotates
as if directly coupled to the pitch motion. This accords with the
direction of movement of the yoke/stick.  It would be natural,
particularly if mounted on the tunnel to push the front/top of the switch
for nosedown as if it were a wheel.

It is perhaps less obvious if the switch is on the facia, but wheels are
often in such a position, again requiring the top of the wheel to be
"pushed" for nose down.

I hope Europa/PFA let me reverse the switch action or I shall always be
using the wrong end. I have not had an answer yet.

Graham 2