Hole Cutting/Instrument panel

Subject: Hole Cutting/Instrument panel
From: Rolph Muller <100031.533@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 03:36:33

>>Can someone give me ideas on how to cut holes in the instrument panel??
What type of hole cutter do I need for the fiberglass/plywood?<<

I used Distan hole saws - but any good quality saw will do. There are very cheap
ones available - DO NOT USE. For the instrument holes you will need a pillar
drill. Replace the centre drill of the hole saw with a pin and drill a pilot
hole for the pin using a drill which gives a tightish fit. Aircraft Spruce do a
very neat template for marking out the holes. Because of the shape of the panel,
you will need to start cutting this down as you move over to the left hand of
the panel, so you can't sell it to anyone afterwards! However since it is black
anodised aluminium, you can use it to make a neat choke mounting plate.  If
anyone is passing Sherburn in Elmet and wants to borrow mine, they are welcome.

Rolph