4-star or unleaded??

Subject: 4-star or unleaded??
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 21:56:36
4-star or unleaded??

Something I've been meaning to ask ... the Europa Owners Manual came with some
very useful CAA published leaflets in the back - one concerning the Use of
Mogas.

I noted that on the Europa video we see the aircraft being filled with unleaded
and the commentary says 'leaded or unleaded ... it doesn't matter', yet the
leaflet says that Mogas should be 4-star and that unleaded and super unleaded
are not permitted. 'Always use BS4040 leaded from a major supplier with a high
turnover'.
It also says that if you do use mogas, the temperature of the fuel in the tank
must be less than 20 deg C and the aircraft not flown above 6000 ft.

Has the Europa got some sort of dispensation from the CAA? What does the Rotax
manual say on the matter? Can you still get 4-star? My local gas station only
sells unleaded.

Some comments would be appreciated.

P.S. With ref to my postings on rear bulkhead accessibility I thank you for your
comments. Yes, I was aware of the 'approved' rear fuselage access panel but I
wonder how often you are going to have to change the electric trim motor. Any
MTBFstats anyone? Think I'll only cut the access panel when I really need to -
even then it probably only needs a 2 inch hole - possibly less, at the top of
the fuselage fin stub leading edge in line with ... and to get at ... the servo
trim nuts (I did bond in the bolts holding the servo motor and they are turned
'in backwards' so the nuts face forward ala one of the first Europa Flyer
mags).Yes, OK, the servo motor would still have to come out through the inside
of the fuselage but I figure you probably could do that bit from inside - I see
the nuts as being the most awkward.

Regards

Martin Tuck
Wichita, Kansas