Re: Virus alert

Subject: Re: Virus alert
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 22:12:40
Peter Davis wrote

>>>Matt Lawrence writes:-
>
>This is an urban legend.  No such virus exists.  Please do not spead this
>any further.<<
>
>As my information comes from someone in the software business who in constantly
>updated with the latest information I would be very interested to know how you
>can dismiss such a warning with such aplomb.

Calm down, everybody! In a way, you're _both_ correct!

Good Times is not a "computer" virus - it's a people virus - it gets into
their heads and make them behave irrationally. Even the tech hot-shots are
not immune - in my former life at BT Labs, on the cutting edge of
communications technology, I saw that virus infect an entire division twice
in less than 18 months. Nobody in the entire organisation had ever seen or
received a copy of the Good Times "virus" itself - it was just the
"warning" message.

Further evidence of the ability to spread havoc by a few well-chosen words
was demonstrated to me yesterday when I discovered that one of the other
lists I subscribe to had _itself_ been subscribed to quite a number of
other lists by some prankster. Stuff like this is probably designed to see
if they can bring the net to its knees by some sort of geometric increase
in the number of postings. (Fun, huh? Let's go out & wreck a train next!)

I apologise for the size of this post, but maybe it's needed in order to
put this to bed. I reproduce below the text of the WWW page to be found at:

http://www.crew.umich.edu/~chymes/newusers/Think.html

It's worth browsing this page and following a few of the links - but even
if you don't do that, read the stuff below - it's all pretty sound
common-sense. (Incidentally, advice to anyone else posting copies of WWW
pages - save a copy as "text" _not_ "html" - makes it easier on the brain.)

Don't Spread that Hoax!

This document is very much under construction, please send comments, advice,
criticism, and further information to chymes@crew.umich.edu.

This link gives some information on who I am.
http://www.CREW.umich.edu/~chymes/

Don't Spread that Hoax!

You are visitor number 34799

Recently, the internet community has endured a wave of e-mail hoaxes and
pranks, exploiting users unfamiliarity with how the internet, and computer
systems in general work. With the explosive growth of the internet and its
popularity, more and more new users are "getting online" and becoming
targets for pranksters. "Ancient" myths, like the cookie story, are just
waiting for a critical mass of people who have not been exposed, so that
they can go streaming across the net again. There is no technical solution
to this problem. Even when users users become experienced enough to be able
to tell a silly message when they see one, anyone can get suckered
sometimes. It seems that all users of the internet will have to put up with
a certain amount of nonsense. Right now, these messages are only an
annoyance, but it is only a matter of time before someone's` reputation,
career or bank account is ruined by some out of control e-mail message.

Experienced users call these problem messages Junk-mail Viruses, because
they act like other computer viruses, only they use people as the method of
infecting new systems. Users of the internet must learn to be skeptical, and
think carefully before spreading a message to new users. There are some
simple things you can do to avoid being a carrier for Junk-mail Viruses.

1) If you get a message, or see a posting on usenet that seems like it
should be shared with LOTS of people, **DON`T SEND IT** unless either you
KNOW the message is true, you can authenticate their identity (through PGP
or some other system), or you know the sender personally, and know they
would have written this message. The more urgent it sounds, the more
skeptical you should be. Even if you think it might be true, let someone
else spread it.

2) If you really want to send it, **ALWAYS CHECK WITH THE ORIGINATOR**
before forwarding it! This is the best way to tell a hoax or a prank. Just
reply to the first sender, and ask them if it is true. If they can`t tell
you, then don`t send it! Most pranks and hoaxes have forged headers and
signatures, and when you try and verify the validity of the message, you
will find that the address is not valid. Even if the originator is the
prankster, and tells you to go ahead, at least they can be caught and dealt
with. If this seems like too much of a bother, than it is not that important
and you should not send it anyway.

3) If the message tells you to do something, especially if that something
involves changing in your account or sending a file or message over the
network, **CHECK WITH SOMEONE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAT YOU CAN TRUST**. Imagine
you received a package in your real homes mailbox asking you to place your
house keys in the return envelope provided, and mail them to a post office
box. Would you comply? People fall for the computer version of this all the
time.

4) If you see or get something that really makes you angry, remember *** YOU
CAN`T BE SURE WHO SENT IT!!** It is very very easy to frame someone with an
e-mail message or usenet post. All someone has to do is sit at their
computer when the victim is away from the keyboard. But hackers can be much
more sophisticated. They can forge any message to make it appear from
anyone.

4)Chain e-mail and Pyramid posts on usenet are a scam, and they may be a
crime. If you forward one, you will be blasted with hundreds of angry
messages in reply. But if you see one, remember that you can`t be sure who
sent it.

Famous Hoaxes

The cookie story (Mrs Fields, Neimen Marcus, etc) is a myth. It has been
circulating for at least 10 years. Please do not forward it. The kid who
wants postcards before he dies is also no longer true, don't forward it
either. Similarly, the federal government is NOT going to start charging for
e-mail, or any other use the the internet. When you see a call to arms about
this issue, disregard it.

The Good Times "virus" deserves several pages all its own. Here are HTML
versions:

  1. http://www.hr.doe.gov/goodtime.html
  2.

And here are plain text.

  1. ftp://usit.net/pub/lesjones/GoodTimes-HoaxFAQ.txt
  2. ftp://usit.net/pub/lesjones/good-times-virus-hoax-faq.txt
  3. ftp://users.aol.com/macfaq/good-times-virus-hoax-mini-faq.txt

Anyway, there is ABSOLUTLY NO WAY** for an email message to infect your
computer with a virus just by reading it. Even the infamous internet worm
did not operate this way. This "mother of all Junk-mail virues" Has made it
into the photocopy room, and is going around again. Note however, that it IS
possible to dounload an executable program through e-mail, or through your
web browser. For heaven's sake DON'T RUN A PROGRAM FROM A SOURCE YOU DON'T
HAVE VERY GOOD REASON TO TRUST! If your browser or e-mail reader does not
ask you permission before it runs a dounloaded program, THROW THAT BROWSER
OR READER AWAY! It's no more useful than a door to your house that can't
keep anyone out.

There are enough myths, legends, and hoaxes on the net to fill a book, in
fact, one is growing, check out an alt.folklore.urban Frequently asked
Questiones list. When it is available again.

Finally, note that when April 1st comes up, the Net will be awash in phony
messages, forged return addresses, pranks, and general amusing nonsense. The
best thing to do is to read them and have a good laugh. Barring that, ignore
any message from anyone you don't know, and ignore any message from anyone
that asks you to do something.

Hoaxes & Humor on the Internet

  1. April Fools on the Net
  2. Official Usenet Alt.Folklore.Urban Frequently Posted Legends
  3. Usenet group on Computer folklore

Serious Information

  1. Pretty Good Privacy, a great way to authenticate the sender and insure
     privacy for the receiver.
  2. How NOT to create USENET Posts
  3. USENET frequently asked questions
  4. Hints on Writing Style
  5. USENET Primer
  6. Rules for posting

Please Email me here: Charles Hymes , I'd like to know what you think!

Who I am. http://www.CREW.umich.edu/~chymes/

C.R.E.W.: room 2420busad,
             701 Tappan Street,Ann Arbor Michigan 48109-1234
             Voice: (313)-764-6715,  FAX:(313) 936-3168

Psychology: Psychology Dept, rm B268
                525 East University,    Ann Arbor Michigan 48109-1109
                Voice:(313)-763-6992

* Well, maybe it was true at one point, but it is not true now.
** Really experienced users know about holes in sendmail and
particular mail readers, but this message is not for you.

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...