Re: Wing Navlight Wiring

Subject: Re: Wing Navlight Wiring
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 13:39:50
>Can any of the stateside builders advise on the proper way to run wires
>during wing construction to provide for wingtip position and strobe lights?
> The obvious way of simply stringing wires through a lightening hole doesn't
>seem elegant or good aircraft practice!
>
>Hoping to find some builders who have figured out how best to do this.
>
>Chuck Popenoe
>A36

Chuck,

I contacted Europa U.S. and they passed on this info which is a system
designed by builder Kim Prout I believe.

"If you intend to add nav/strobes to the wing tips, a good place to run the
conduit is in the leading edge. This needs to be done prior to gluing the
leading edge cores to the spar.The tubing is run in the core cut-out nearest
the face of the spar. Since the #3 core does not have cut-outs, cut a small
groove on the rear face deep enough for the 1/2 inch tubing. Cut a hole in
each of the wing ribs large enough to pass the tubing through. You can
install the tubing loosely and micro the cores then slide everything
together tightly when bonding to the spar. If this is hard to understand, it
should make sense when you have temporarily placed the leading edge cores on
the spar."

Europa sent me this info, and on the back was a list of required componentry
for a Whelan system and a template for the fin only application. This info
was dutifully and promptly forwarded by the U.S. office who I e-mailed on
Europa@gate.net and who followed up with snail mail.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Tony Renshaw