Sensitisation

Subject: Sensitisation
From: ChuckPops@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 10:49:31
This sensitisation business is a bit scary!  Imagine having to dispose of
your plane after some 2-3 years abuilding!.  Does the fact that this builder
is selling his plane AFTER it is completed mean that he is also sensitised to
the CURED epoxy?

I am using Aeropoxy for laying up the wings on A36 at this stage, and would
not like to have this happen to me.  Accordingly, I am interested in the best
thoughts on the mechanism of the sensitisation.  Is it exposure to fumes and
vapors, or to absorption through the skin after  countless hours of handling
the resins?  I am reasonably careful, but have on numerous occasions had to
wipe resin off of my skin, and then wipe the last traces off with alcohol.  I
have taken no precautions regarding breathing the vapors, and have noticed no
ill effects other than my eyes will start to burn and water whenever I begin
a layup, which seems to diminish as the layup proceeds.  I have also read
that using a solvent for removing the residue may hasten the absorption
through the skin, but how else do you get rid of that sticky stuff?

By the way, exactly what are the symptoms of epoxy sensitisation?  I have
seen nothing on this subject, and it would be nice to recognise the earliest
symptoms and to know the later symptoms and the final symptoms which force
you to sell your unflown Europa.

Chuck Popenoe
A36