Cranfield Rally

Subject: Cranfield Rally
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 20:04:22
Europa are hoping to be able to put on a display of formation flying at
Cranfield. Clive Davidson will fly Go DTI as lead, (that's the easy bit) Martin
Stoner and Jon Tye will do the hard bit and remain clamped to his wingtips (or
tail, as the case may be). Clive is Europa's new marketing sales and demo
person. You might have read his article in June "Pilot" flight testing the
Italian Sky Arrow. Martin has just retired from the RAF as head of the Central
Flying School among other things, which included a spell as leader of the Red
Arrows. Jon flew Vulcans, Jet Provosts etc and of course Rhodedendrons.

Yours truly got lucky again. GK Whip was the nearest accessible Europa flying to
form the third ship so I got to fly with Martin on a practice session  this
evening. It is always amazing to witness how an aeroplane seems to relax and
enjoy itself when a master pilot has control. No fighting the controls or wild
movements even with two other planes less than ten feet away. Velvet gloves.

We now have the production bounce attenuator fitted. I still managed one
multiple landing tomight. My problem is judging the height at roundout. When I
flare the Long EZ for landing I'm ten feet QFE. In the Europa it's more like
three feet and I can't see over the engine. Must be my age, I may soon need
Gemin's white stick!

Graham